Air fryer scones full of banana and chocolate chips are tasty any time. This is an easy recipe that creates soft fluffy centers with crisp golden brown crust and is ready in minutes. If you love banana bread, then this scone recipe is for you!
I have been working on a few new recipes and this air fryer scone recipe is probably one of my new favorites. I started with our master scone recipe, which is the best base to start for any flavor scone, then added ripe mashed banana and a good amount of mini chocolate chips.
The results were awesome, tender fluffy scones that were ready in half the time it takes to bake in the oven. This is an easy way to make scones in less than 8 minutes!
Best Tools to make fresh scones
These are the tools I have used to make all scones, including scones in an air fryer.
- Pastry blender I mention this item with every single recipe because it is THE item that will ensure a fluffy outcome for your scones. You can use 2 knives or your hands, but a pastry blender is best.
- Parchment paper a baking sheet lined with parchment paper is not only great for non-stick baking, but it is also awesome for easy cleanup! No pan scrubbing is needed!
- Mixing bowl should be a large mixing bowl if you want to make this as a one-bowl recipe! I mix and also knead the scone dough right in the bowl before turning it out onto a floured surface.
- Air Fryer– given that this recipe is for an air fryer, then this is an item that will be helpful! Although, you can also bake this recipe in the oven too! Instructions are below.
Banana Chocolate Chip Scone Ingredients
The following ingredients are what I used to make one of the best scones to enjoy for breakfast or your afternoon tea. I really love the flavor pairing of the banana and chocolate.
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- half-and-half, plus 1 tbsp.
- mini chocolate chips
- Ripe banana, mashed
How to Make Air Fryer Scones Recipe
I have been testing this recipe and I finally think I figured out how to make perfect scones in the air fryer! The below directions are used with a Chefman 8qt air fryer, so depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to make these in two batches if all the scone circles do not fit. Even with my air fryer, I had to make these in two batches.
In a large bowl, mix your dry ingredients first. You will whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Set aside the dry mixture.
In a small bowl, add banana and mash with a fork.
Working with a sharp knife, cut cold butter into small pieces. Add to the flour mixture and using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the flour mixture begins to look like coarse crumbs. This will give the best texture to your scones.
Now it is time to add in your wet ingredients. Add half and half, vanilla extract, mashed banana, and chocolate chips and mix gently until a shaggy dough forms.
Using your hands, knead scone dough for a little time until it forms a smooth soft ball, about 5-10 times. If your dough is still too wet, add 2 tablespoons of flour.
Transfer dough on a lightly floured surface and gently pat dough into an 8-inch round disc, about 1 inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut dough into 6-8 rounds.
Place rounds in a single layer on a parchment-lined air fryer basket. With a pastry brush dipped in half and half, brush the top of the scones and then add a small pinch of sugar to scone tops.
Close air fryer lid and set air fryer temp to 390 degrees for 7 minutes.
Remove large scones from the air fryer and let cool on a wire rack.
Once the scones are completely cool, enjoy plain or top cooled scones with butter or favorite jam.
Can I Make This Recipe In The Oven?
Yes, you can! To make these in the oven, be sure to preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prepare scone recipe as written. You can use the circle cutter or cut into 8 wedges and separate dough wedges and place them on your parchment-lined baking tray. Bake scones for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on the wire rack and enjoy.
Other Easy Scones To Try
- Fresh Blueberries and Lemon
- Raspberry White Chocolate
- Espresso Chocolate Chip
- Fresh Strawberry
- Fresh Peach
How Can I Store Scones?
Scones are easy to store! Place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Scones can also be kept on the counter for up to 3 days. I like to put them on a plate and cover them loosely with plastic wrap.
This is one of the best recipes I have made in a long time! It is a great way to use up ripe bananas and am sure you will make these on a regular basis!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoon chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup half-and-half, plus 1 tbsp.
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 2/3 cup half-and-half and vanilla extract until just moistened.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and mashed banana.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently 5 to 10 times.
- Pat into a 1-inch-thick round.
- Cut into 6-8 rounds with 2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter; place on a parchment-lined air fryer basket.
- Brush tops with 1 Tbsp half-and-half, sprinkle each with sugar.
- Set air fryer to 390 degrees and cook for 7 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g