Pizza scones are full of tasty Italian spices, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. These savory scones are perfect for snacks or light lunch especially when served with a side of marinara sauce!
Have you ever had a scone based pizza before? I've had a pizza baked on a pizza stone of course, and even a Hot Pocket or two, but never a pizza baked into a scone! Let me tell you- They are GOOD!
Tools for savory pizza scones
- Pastry blender we mention this item with every single recipe because it is THE item that will ensure a fluffy outcome for your scones. You can use 2 knives or your hands, but a pastry blender is best.
- Parchment paper a baking sheet lined with parchment paper is not only great for non-stick baking, but it is also awesome for easy cleanup! No pan scrubbing needed!
- Mixing bowl should be a large mixing bowl if you want to make this a one-bowl recipe! I mix and also knead the scone dough right in the bowl before turning it out onto a floured surface.
Ingredients for pizza scones
All the things you love in pepperoni pizza are what go into this delicious scone recipe!
- Pepperoni – I used pre-cut pepperoni slices and cut them into small pieces.
- Italian spice seasoning– You can use Italian seasoning spices or you can make your own with garlic, onion, garlic powder, parsley, salt & pepper, and oregano.
- Basil– Fresh basil is best, but if only dried is available, that is okay too.
- Tomatoes– Sundried tomatoes in oil are delicious in this recipe. They pack a ton of flavor in just a small amount!
- Mozzarella cheese– Use shredded mozzarella cheese instead of slices. It will mix and bake better and will taste just like cheesy pizza!
- cheddar cheese– I added this for some extra cheesiness and it worked great!
- Pecorino Romano cheese – Locatelli is what I use exclusively when a recipe calls for parmesan cheese. To me, it just tastes better.
- Flour– All-purpose flour is perfect for this recipe.
- Baking powder– This is what gives your baked goods their “rise”, making fluffy scones every time!
- Sugar– Even though this is a savory scone recipe, a little bit of sugar helps to offset the salty. Trust me, it works!
- Butter– I prefer to use salted butter, but unsalted butter works just as well. Just be sure that whatever type you use is very cold.
- Half and Half– I like to use this over milk or buttermilk as it gives scones a lovely texture.
How to make pizza scones
This scone recipe comes together really quickly. Plan for 5 minutes of prep time and 12-15 minutes of baking time.
The first step is to preheat the oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
If you don't have a pre-made Italian seasoning mix, you can make your own by combining 1 teaspoon of each of the following; dried minced onion, dried minced garlic, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and basil if you don't have fresh.
Now to make pizza scones:
Combine flour, sugar, salt & baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
Add cold unsalted or salted butter pieces and cut into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Next, you will add in the Italian spice mix, cheeses, pepperoni, and sundried tomatoes.
Pour in half & half and gently stir into scone mixture until all ingredients start to come together to form a ball.
Knead scone dough 5-6 times in a bowl or you can place on a lightly floured surface to do so. The dough should become somewhat smooth. Do not over mix as this will create a flat, tough scone.
Pat dough into a 1-inch thick disc. Using a bowl scraper, bench scraper, or knife, cut into 8 wedges. Tip: a pizza cutter would be perfect for this too!
Place pizza scone wedges onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Brush tops of scones with half and half and sprinkle of shredded mozzarella.
Bake scones in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove to cool on wire rack.
Serve as is or with a side of warm marinara sauce to dip your pizza scone to enjoy a hearty snack or to eat as a light lunch or for a special birthday celebration, complete with a beautiful Italian tablescape!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THE RECIPE BELOW!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning mix
- 2 Tablespoons sundried tomatoes in oil, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, grated or parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To Make Italian Seasoning, add 1 teaspoon of each: parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, dried minced onion, dried minced garlic, & dried basil if you do not have fresh.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, and baking powder and mix together.
- Add cold butter and cut in with pastry blender until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add Italian seasoning mix, cheeses, pepperoni, and sundried tomatoes. Stir.
- Add half and half and gently mix until dough ball forms.
- Knead 4-5 times to incorporate all ingredients.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and make a 1-inch thick disc.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place wedges onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with half and half and add a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and cheese on top is melted.
- Remove from tray and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve as is or with a side of marinara sauce to dip.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mflagperft Italy Flag Italian Small Stick Mini Hand Held Flags Decorations 1 Dozen (12 Pack)
Red Gingham Checkered 6 Pack Premium Disposable Plastic Picnic Tablecloth 54 Inch. x 108 Inch. Rectangle Table Cover By Grandipity
Rösle Stainless Steel Round-Handle Pizza Cutter
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 5), Non Slip Colorful Silicone Bottom Nesting Storage Bowls by Regiller, Polished Mirror Finish For Healthy Meal Mixing and Prepping 1.5-2 - 2.5-3.5 - 7QT
IF YOU CARE FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft
Gorilla Grip Original Chef Dough and Pastry Blender, Comfortable Grip Handle, Premium Stainless Steel Cutter Blades, for Baking, Kneading Doughs, Butter, Flakier and Fluffier Pie Crusts, Gray
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 502mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
We really like savory scones that have lots of flavors and these mozzarella scones filled with pepperoni hit the spot. Next time you want lunch on the go or something different for breakfast, give these delicious treats a try.